Subject: Re: Upgrading a VAX4000-200 to a -500, -700 etc.?
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Henry R. Bent <henry.bent@oberlin.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/01/2002 21:08:43
Gunther Schadow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I told you I got that VAX 4000-200 (not quite in my hands yet but
> soon.) But I really want to make it the fastest VAX around, i.e.
> that would be a -700 or something, right? Is such upgrade done
> simply by replacing the CPU blade? Or is there anything different
> about the Q-bus, PSU or whatnot?

As the proud owner of a /200, I can tell you that it's going to be a chore.  I
asked this question a while back, and it turns out that you have to replace the
entire backplane to upgrade the CPU.  The difference between the /200 and the
/300-on AFAIK is that the /200 is put directly on the Qbus while the other 4000s
are put into special slots.  This makes sense if you think about it, because you
can upgrade boxes like the 3800/3900 just by putting a /200 CPU board in them.

> NetBSD's highest line of VAX is the -300 or -500, right?

I dunno about you, but I want a /705A :-)

> This is
> going to be my machine to build NetBSD kernels (I have basically
> given up on doing difficult development jobs on the VAX6000s.

Did I miss something?  You're running NetBSD on a 6000?  I could really kick
myself if you are - I had the very easy chance to get a free 6620, but passed
since there was no NetBSD support and no Ultrix support (no flames about my
dislike for VMS).  Not to mention that the electric bills would just about kill
me...

--
Henry Bent                       henry.bent@oberlin.edu
Want the Stars Productions       http://www.wtsp.org