Subject: Re: NetBSD with 4mb ram (or on MVII?)
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/29/2002 17:56:42
Lord Isildur wrote:

> this slowness of compiles is not netbsd's fault, but because of
> something out of our control: gcc.

I've often wondered why gcc replaced pcc in the *BSD's. I assumed
it was licensing reasons, or that gcc is more actively maintained.
Does anyone maintain pcc at the moment? Is it ported to as many
platforms as gcc currently is? Is getting away from the increasingly
Linux-centric gcc a viable option?

> i find that gcc and  the gnu C library are a poor performer. Using
 > the gnu c library, things are much slower despite gcc's better
> optimizer on VAX.

Have you installed GNU libc on a Vax running NetBSD? I always
thought glibc was only usable on Linux.

Chris

--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)