Subject: Re: NetBSD with 4mb ram
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/29/2002 16:53:26
Chuck McManis wrote:
> Chris Wareham wrote:
>> Hmmm, if I install more memory into a MicroVax (a 3100/80 in this
>> case), do I have to configure something when I next turn it on?
>> I recently put two 4Mb sticks into my MV to take it upto 48Mb.
>
> I believe that On the 3100/80 you have to add _four_ sticks at a time.
> This is due to memory organization. That's why things like the 4000/100
> is either 64M or 128M but nothing in between. Also I would be surprised
> if the 3100/80 even took 4M sticks. I probably only wants 16M sticks.

The machine's at home at the moment so I can't check, but
I'm pretty sure it has six memory slots with four currently
populated. As it's 40Mb I guess it's two 16Mb and two 4Mb
sticks. If so, then it must be OK with 4Mb ones, and the
two extra ones I was trying to stick in might be kaput. I'll
see if work are willing to part with some RAM of varying
sizes so I can experiment.

Chris

--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)