Subject: Re: NetBSD with 4mb ram
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Alex White <meltie@myrealbox.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/27/2002 21:43:49
On Mon, 2002-05-27 at 21:04, John Klos wrote:
> Back to something relevant, will NetBSD now or in the future be runnable
> on systems with 4 megs of memory?
>
> The last I've tried, I can only reasonably run NetBSD on m68k systems with
> 6 megs. Although I did get a 4 meg system to boot, waiting literally hours
> for the system to complete the startup sequence was not what I'd consider
> usable.

I have managed to get my Sparc IPC (thanks, David!) to boot 1.5.1 with 4
megs. It took about an hour to boot, and about 20 mins from Username:
root to asking me for a password (by which time it's timed out, of
course). Useless as a NetBSD machine then unless I can get more memory
for it, so I palmed it off to my (ex-)girlfriend for the time being.

Alex

--

My computer's heavier than yours.