Subject: Re: NetBSD with 4mb ram
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/26/2002 08:08:28
On May 26, jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:
> >   Intel has produced several really good CPU
> > architectures over the years; x86 just isn't one of them.  (Indeed,
> > one of their better ones, the 8051, is being produced in quantities of
> > more than a million chips per month, and I'm writing code for one in
> > another window right now)
> The 8051 is crap IMHO. I used a 8051 derivate once and I will never do
> this mistake again.

  You think so?  I like it, personally.  Specifically I'm using the
Philips 89C668, which is a "big" 8051.  Now I will say, though, that I
don't much care for programming them in assembler...I do most of my
8051 development in C, with interrupt service routines and such in
assembler.  I guess I'm spoiled with PDP11 assembler. 8-)

> Since this experience I use the Atmel AVR. Nice, clean and quite
> orthogonal 8 bit RISC arch.

  I haven't played with the AVR.  My microcontroller preference is first
with PIC and second with 8051.  I always hear good things about AVRs
though; I think I will try them out.

> The i960 was a good arch. I was really surprised when I got into it,
> because it was sane and good and well done, although it was Intel.

  I agree...I like the i960 a lot.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                       "Actually, I've found that I rarely wear
St. Petersburg, FL                    pants in Florida." -Sridhar