Subject: Re: NetBSD with 4mb ram
To: None <ken@seefried.com>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/26/2002 12:06:30
On 26 May, Ken Seefried wrote:

> I'll assume things like a Sequent Symmetry and NCR 3xxx-series are
> off-limits.
I don't know the NCR 3xxx-series, but the Sequent Symmetry was quite
miss designed. I administrated a S27 with 8 i386DX20, 80MB RAM and a
bunch of 8" and 9" SMD disks. It was running the old 4.2BSD based Dynix.
I never got more than 200kB/s over the Ethernet. Hey. A Sun 3/60 is
faster! The "high performance" dual channel SMD adapter was not able to
pump more than 700kB from the Fujitsu and NEC disks into the machine. I
used one of the NEC drives later on my MV II with a QD33. I got around
800..900kB/s with that single and much slower CPU over the older and
slower QBus.
BTW: This machine cost 910,000DM (ca. $450,000) in 1989.
--

tschuess,
          Jochen

Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz