Subject: Re: KFQSA in Vax 4000/500 - I'm going to make a HOWTO
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/21/2002 10:36:57
Chuck,

OK, I swapped the 6 plug from one of the drives to the 4000/500
bulkhead, and I've tried several configurations.  Note, there are
two DSSI external connectors on the /500 bulkhead.  They are,
unfortunately, unlabeled.  One is on the bottom left side,
and one is in the middle.  Directly above the one in the
middle is an ID plug, which is labeled "Bus 0".  To the right
of that one, and down a bit, is the other, labeled "Bus 1"
(just above the AUI connector).  I'm trying to figure out
which connector to connect the KFQSA to, and which ID plug
controls it.

Right now, I've got the '6' plug in ID0, and the KFQSA
plugged into the connector in the middle, just below
that.  I've also tried connecting it to the other connector.

The SHOW DEV still gives

DSSI Bus 0 Node 6 (*)

for that one.  Is the (*) supposed to change to something else?

Also, is there anything I need to do with the jumpers on the
KFQSA board?

Finally, I'm not 100% confident about this cable, having never
used it in a system before.  Is there any clue I might gather
as to whether the connection between the KFQSA and the bulkhead
is sound?

Doug