Subject: Re: Stuck tape in TK50 drive... how to remove?
To: None <NA4G@aol.com>
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/19/2002 22:35:28
On Sun, 19 May 2002 NA4G@aol.com wrote:
> If the TK50 can be moved to a VMS box and
> the  DISMOUNT MUA0  be made to work, then
> that means the rewind/dismount capability
> exists IN the TKr50, and DEC chose not to
> implement it in the Ultrix mt command and
> maybe also in the BSD's.

Oh really, I didn't know you were having the
problem with Ultrix as well.  So much for
my DEC engineering theory.  All I know is
that my most dependable TK50 setup is a
VS3100 running VMS with lunchbox TK50,
which, to the best of my knowledge, is
still not supported by NetBSD.

> work, if clean and that sort of thing.  The
> scsi box is a buggerbear to have to go into
> and disassemble to remove a stuck tape, compared
> to the BA123 cabinet, for example, though.

Go into?  My main TK50 lunchbox hasn't been shut
for quite a while.  I use it as a test station for any
stray TK50 drives that happen to wander my way.
Besides, no matter how good the setup, TK50's
get stuck, and the drive does need cleaning
every so often.

 So,
> I tend to prefer the Qbus version as opposed to
> the scsi version, unless I need to write or
> read something on a later scsi VAX.

> Speaking of scsi.... (I know, don't even bring
> it up....(:+}}....) anyone got any spare scsi
> Qbus mscp or tmscp controllers laying about,
> just looking to be used?  I could sure use a
> tape scsi board, so I can bring up some of
> those nice old 9 track reel decks I have sitting
> and gathering dust.....(:+}}...  Also, I sure
> could use a pair of mscp scsi boards, or maybe
> combo boards.  Yeah, I know.... dream on........
> I would be willing to pay a reasonable rate, but
> not the way out of line ripoff the used board
> mongers want to stick you for.  They seem to be
> of the opinion those things are pure gold or
> platinum or somesuch.....(:+}}...
>
> Just thinking out loud, again.

There was just one on E-bay a little while ago.
The high bid of $75 didn't meet the reserve.
How much do you consider reasonable?

Doug