Subject: Re: need info on SCD-RQD11/EC and WQESD/4 esdi qbus boards
To: None <NA4G@aol.com>
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/14/2002 09:53:54
Bob,

Good to hear you again.  How are your critters?
Congrats on the good luck!  Your guess about
the boards is right, they are just different
versions of the same board.  I think it was
first made by Webster, which was then bought
out by Sigma.  Anyway, I have a photocopy of
the manual for that board, and it's in 10
chapters.  If you search the list archives,
there's also a thread or two about it.

The board is most likely already set up to
go, but you need to run some software to
get it to talk to your drives.

First, check to see if it is set up to be
the first disk controller.  On my board
there is a set of switches labeled SW2,
but I think it is also known as N6, from
the manual.  There should be 10 switches
on this set, the top 6 are mutually
exclusive.  If 10 is pushed up, you are
at the CSR for the first disk controller
(772150), if 9 is pushed up, you are
the second controller (760334), etc.
Switch 4 is unused, and the bottom 3 switches
control the onboard bootstrap.  I think this
is only relevant for PDP11.  On my board,
switch 3 is pushed up, which means onboard
boot disabled.  If you hold the board with
the backplane side down, there is another
small box of 4 switches above and to the right.
All 4 of these should be pushed to on.
Below and to the right is another box of
4 switches, all on except for the 4th.

The ESDI drives use the same cabling
as MFM, but can take up to 4 drives
on a chain.  There are 3 of the
20 pin controller connectors at the
edge of the board, and one inside.
There is also one 34 pin data connector.
Run 1 20-pin cable to the 20-pin connector
on each drive.  Run the data cable to
each drive in series.

The two important things to remember
are that:

1. Each drive must be set to a
unique ID of 1,2,3 or 4.

2. The last drive in the chain
must be terminated.

Now, with the Maxtor drive that
you have, the drive number jumpers
are in a block of 8 near the connector
end of the drive.  The very top jumper
sets it to drive 1, the next to 2,
and so on.  (There are 8 because the
designers of ESDI originally
envisioned 8 possible drives on
a controller, but it never came to
pass, I believe.)  The terminator is
a little yellow ceramic thingy up
there near that jumper block.  When
it is plugged in, the drive is terminated.
If you have two of these drives, you should
easily be able to see which one was terminated
and which one wasn't.

Now, the magic incantation (from
the >>> prompt):

D/P/W 20001F40 20
D/L   20088008 80000002
D/W   W0001468 AC
S 400

This should startup up 'WOMBAT', the
program you need to use to talk to your
drives.  Since this mail is now long enough,
I won't go into details.  It's possible
somebody has scanned that manual into PDF
by now and put it up on the web somewhere,
but I haven't found it.  Anyway, this
controller is really neat.  It also has
a connector that you can hook up a terminal
to, and it also allows you to boot a PDP-11
if you don't have a DLV-11 handy.

Hope this helps!

Doug