Subject: Re: DELQA Ethernet problem
To: Johnny Billquist , Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Michael Thompson <m_thompson@ids.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/11/2002 09:55:45
It is also interesting to note that when the VAX says that the transmit
logic has died it stops what is was doing for about 30 seconds and then
picks up where it left off. During this time the VAX will respond to a ping.

If the transmit logic has died how canit respond to a ping?

At 11:21 AM 5/11/02 +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:

>> > Funny thing that it only happens in NetBSD. We must be using the
device in
>> > a bad way. Neither VMS, RSX or Ultrix seem to have this problem.
>> >
>> Oh, yes, all of them have the same problem, but their drivers don't
>> inform about it. It is indeed a microcode problem, so it would be a quite
>> bad idea for DEC to tell people "this hardware is flakey" :-)
>
>Hum. I'm not that certain. When we get this error, the traffic stops for a
>little while, which is most noticeable. Error message or not.
>
>Oh well, I'll start up my box running VMS, and ping it for a few
>hours. That should sooner or later get the answer to this question.
>
>> You can look at the original DEC driver that were in NetBSD, it have some
>> of the compensation code for bad DEQNA's. Note that the DEC driver is
>> quite slow; it could almost reach 200k/s (in both directions). The new
>> one I wrote peeks about 500k/s.
>
>The DEQNA is known to be buggy and having a problem (it might be this
>one), but the DELQA is not. The DEQNA isn't even a supported interface in
>VMS nowadays because of this.
>
>	Johnny
>
>Johnny Billquist                  || "I'm on a bus
>                                  ||  on a psychedelic trip
>email: bqt@update.uu.se           ||  Reading murder books
>pdp is alive!                     ||  tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol

Michael Thompson
m_thompson@NOSPAMids.net