Subject: Re: MicroVAX 3100-95: Where is the QBus?
To: Antonio Carlini <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/09/2002 22:17:22
On 2002.05.09 21:28 Antonio Carlini wrote:

> I don't know whether NetBSD knows about it but
> the MicroVAX 3100-95 and the VAX 4000-105A are
> identical.
As I suspected.
NetBSD seems to know about that they are identical but have different
names. (looked at vax/locore.c...)

> There is a console command that switches
> the motherboard from one "personality" to another.
Do you know that command?

> I forget exactly what the I/O connectors are
> for. One for asynch and one for synch
> is my recollection - but I'd have to dig one
> out and look.
Aha. This can be. There are the two used async connectors with two
arrows like that
------->
<-------
and two unused slots for connectors with two arrows like that
  +--+
--+  +-->
<--------

> If you tell it it is a VAX 4000-105A then it
> will try to use the Qbus and DSSI. (And there
> is even an optional second DSSI daughtercard
> too IIRC).
Aha. DSSI. That is the other option.

> You need the right cabling to get to the
> Qbus and DSSI connectors on the back of the box -
> and those are only there on the VAX 4000-10x box,
> the uV3100-9x boxes were slightly different.
Seams that I have to inspect Michaels VAX 4000-105 and warm up the
soldering iron... QBus on the desk top would be nice. :-)

> I probably have docs somewhere. WAVERLEY ASYNC would
> be a DSH32 (I think). The corresponding SYNC I/O card
> (which probably didn't say WAVERLEY) was the DSW42.
>>>sh conf

KA51-A V2.6, VMB 2.15
08-00-2B-AB-CD-EF
128MB

TstNbr  DevNam      Info
------  --------    --------------------------
     0    CPU_BD    OK
    A8       MEM    OK
    E4        DZ    OK
    E0      SCSI    OK
                    1-L0-0664    2-L0-DFHS    4-L0-RX26    5-L0-EXB-850
                      6-Adapter
    5F        NI    OK
    EC     ASYNC    OK
                    DHW41/2 V1.6