Subject: RE: MicroVAX 3100-95: Where is the QBus?
To: Jochen Kunz <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Antonio Carlini <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/09/2002 20:28:20
> Jochen Kunz wrote:
>=20
>I had a look in sys/arch/vax/vax/ibus.c and the QBus is always =
attached,
>there is no probe for the actual presence of a uba. So I am not sure if
>the machine really has a uba. "sh q" on the boot prompt gives no =
answer.

I don't know whether NetBSD knows about it but
the MicroVAX 3100-95 and the VAX 4000-105A are
identical. There is a console command that switches
the motherboard from one "personality" to another.
The differences are that in MicroVAX 3100-95 mode,
neither the Q-bus nor the DSSI are activated. (And
it reports its ID slightly differently so that OpenVMS
will know and can licence accordingly).

The uV3100-90 and VAX 4000-100(A) are the same
deal. As are the uV3100-96/VAX 4000-106A and
uv3100-98/VAX 4000-108A.

>permanent damage. The two PCBs are connected via one 100 pin IDC
>connector to the main board. So: No QBus but lots of async lines?=20

I forget exactly what the I/O connectors are
for. One for asynch and one for synch
is my recollection - but I'd have to dig one
out and look.

>OK. There is a QBus. I have KA680 and the KA680 TM. The "CQBIC" chip
>that identifies the TM as QBus interface is "21-25927" and this Chip is
>also on the KA51 board.=20

Very likely - they are all basically NVAX systems in
slightly different clothing and with different generations
of NVAX chip.

>There is SCSI (NCR 53C94), SGEC (21-28059), SCC (21-24924), ...
>There is a 21-27668. 21-27667 is a SHAC. So is there also DSSI? The =
PROM
>knows about DSSI, but "sh dssi" gives no answer.

If you tell it it is a VAX 4000-105A then it
will try to use the Qbus and DSSI. (And there
is even an optional second DSSI daughtercard
too IIRC). You need the right cabling to get to the
Qbus and DSSI connectors on the back of the box -
and those are only there on the VAX 4000-10x box,
the uV3100-9x boxes were slightly different.

>OK. An other Question I can answer my self: Under the sticker with the
>part number there is "waverley async" etched into the PCB. So no QBus
>break out conectors but ??? async lines. Are there any docs for this? =
It
>would be nice to write a driver for that adapter...

I probably have docs somewhere. WAVERLEY ASYNC would
be a DSH32 (I think). The corresponding SYNC I/O card
(which probably didn't say WAVERLEY) was the DSW42.

Antonio