Subject: Re: RZ-28 drives - problems adding them, and some spare
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/07/2002 10:54:26
> Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 06:57:37 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Paul Thompson <thompson@mail.athenet.net>
> To: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: RZ-28 drives - problems adding them, and some spare
>

> Are you adding an external storageworks shelf or adding them internally?
> If external, they get their ID from the shelf.
> If internal, check google for the jumpers to set the ID's.
>
> On Tue, 7 May 2002, Chris Wareham wrote:
>
> > I have just acquired six RZ-28 hard drives, and wish to put
> > two or three of them into my MicroVax 3100 m80. If I add one
> > of them, it shows up as expected when I do SHOW DEV. However,
> > if I add one or two extra drives then no drives are found
> > when I do SHOW DEV. Is this a SCSI ID or termination issue?
> > If so, how do I set the ID's or terminate an RZ-28?

If RZ-28's are anything like other SCSI disks of similar vintage there
will be a jumper block on the end of the drive's circuit board, the
opposite end from the SCSI connector.  There is a small cable inside
the StorageWorks drive carrier that connects to this block.  If you are
lucky, the block will have only 3 pairs of pins, to set the 3 bits of
SCSI target address.

    carl
--
        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu