Subject: VAX 4000/200 success + thanks
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Henry R. Bent <henry.bent@oberlin.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/03/2002 22:59:30
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for answering my questions on my VAX 4000/200 and VAXstation
4000/90.  I now have my /90 set up with a VT420 running 1.5.2 and I love it!
It hasn't given me any trouble yet, but it has only been a day :-)

It's set up as the netboot host for my other VAX, the /200.  I'm quite proud
of this one, as I undertook quite a trek to get it here and running.  Here's
the dmesg output:

--
NetBSD 1.5.2 (GENERIC) #7: Sun Aug 19 12:43:34 PDT 2001
matt@cougar.local:/u1/kobj/GENERIC
VAX 4000/200
cpu0: KA660, microcode Rev. 6
total memory = 32708 KB
avail memory = 27304 KB
using 434 buffers containing 1736KB of memory
mainbus0 (root)
ibus0 at mainbus0
ze0 at ibus0
ze0: hardware address 08:00:2b:xx:xx:xx
device shac at ibus0 not configured
uba0 at ibus0: Q22
mtc0 at uba0 csr 174500 vec 774 ipl 17
mscpbus0 at mtc0: version4 model 14
mscpbus0: DMA burst size set to 4
boot device: ze0
root on ze0
nfs-Boot: trying DHCP/BOOTP
nfs_boot: BOOTP server: 132.162.250.58
nfs_boot: my_addr=132.162.250.60
nfs_boot: my_mask=255.255.0.0
root on cougar:/usr/export/vaximus/root
root file system type: nfs
--

Note that I haven't added swap yet and it doesn't auto-configure my gateway
server.  Both were intentional oversights on my part to ensure basic running

Here are the issues so far.  First, if I put a heavy load on the disk, I get
"ze0: xmit logic died, resetting..." a few times before the machine hangs
entirely.  I'm not sure if it'll be solved in the 1.5.3_RC1 snapshot - if it
will just tell me and I'll reboot to that kernel.  I saw this problem
mentioned in the mailing list about two years ago but I didn't seem to see
that it had been definitively solved.

Secondly: does anyone have a TK70 they'd be willing to part with for a small
fee and shipping?  Mine seems to have died on me.  The controller works just
fine but no amount of cleaning and coaxing would make the drive work again.
It's a real shame because I have a large cardboard box full of the cartridges
that I'm not doing anything with.  I'll trade you a Simpact ICP1622T for it if
you're interested :-)

--
Henry Bent                       henry.bent@oberlin.edu
Want the Stars Productions       http://www.wtsp.org