Subject: Re: anyone care the help with installing OpenBSD on a 4000/300?
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/03/2002 06:33:38
Hi !

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> i do have a sparc2 that i could use.  however, the NVRAM is kaput, and i don't
> have a new one yet.  if i coulda got the vax going, that woulda been real cool.

Why don't you just fix the NVRAM? Rip off the top part of the device, and
connect a 3V lithium battery and a 32.768KHz xtal to it, and life goes on. I
did this often the last days...

> the thought of having a VAX running as my *FIREWALL* has a significant amount
> of appeal to me.  i've email Process in the hopes that they will grant me a
> hobbyist license for PMDF, the OpenVMS based firewall software they have just
> bought.  *that* would be cool.  ;)

I had running my 4000/105A as web/mail/ldap/somewhat-server quite a long time.
And the machine is still standing around, waiting for new jobs. Currently, by
Webserver is a DECstation 5000/133, also nice. But the VAX might do it better.

...Michael

--
http://www.bsdfans.org/    Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD IRIX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX