Subject: RE: 4000/90 works! But why?
To: joseph p bennardo <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Antonio Carlini <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/02/2002 18:50:28
>OK, this apparently was all my doing. I picked up a 4000/60 and a 90 at
> the same time. I also purchased some 16MB ram chips from a 60. I =
thought
> I was told ram was compatable from a 90 to a 60? My probelms with the =
90
> started when we took it's original 8 simms out (8MB each) and started
> going for more ram. Now that the 90 is working again I'll paly with it
> more, but it seems to me that 90's don't like ram for a 60.

 I don't recall offhand whether -60
RAM works in a -90. I *do* recall that the
order of installation in a -90
is not obvious (i.e. it is not either of
"every other slot starting at either end"
or "any contiguous block of four slots").

It is ABCD if you actually pay very close
attention to where ABCD actually are
(and can see past the dust).
If you were adding eight identical SIMMs
(e.g. 8 of 16MB) then this cannot have been
your problem. But if you were adding 4 new
SIMMs *or* mixing 4 16MB SIMMs with
4 smaller SIMMs, then it may well have been
what was happening.

 Your problem may have been=20
something completely different
(I missed the start of the thread).