Subject: Re: anyone care the help with installing OpenBSD on a 4000/300?
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/02/2002 13:36:39
On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 07:36:53PM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> > trying to install OpenBSD has been a completely painful experience.
> You should not ask for help installing OpenBSD on a NetBSD list. You
> risk to be lynched. ;-)

yes, i did consider that, but for the following reasons chose to post here
anyway:

list (misc) and ask there.  misc is high traffic, 99% of which doesn't apply
to me.

i can take a wild guess that at least 40 morons who have never even touched
a VAX before would tell me to RTFM.  ok, they might have been right this time
(well, RRTFM) but i don't think i care for putting up with that sort of dreck.

> > but great joy, it doesn't see my RF72 at all.
> Is the disk attached to a KFQSA or to the on board DSSI Adapter of the
> VAX4k300 CPU?
> DSSI devices are only supported when attached to a KFQSA (or a BI / XMI

actually, the disk *IS* connected to a KFQSA, which NetBSD sees just fine, and
in fact even did a disklabel/newfs to it just to make sure it really worked.

from what i can tell from the piss poor documentation, it doesn't even seem
that the KFQSA is supported by OpenBSD??  uhm, huh?

> equivalent). The Problem with "native" DSSI support is the lack of
> documentation of the Systems Communication Architecture and CI/DSSI.
> Once I had the idea to write this support, but came to the conclusion
> that this is: a) A big task, as it needs the implementation of all /
> most of the protocolls that are spoken on CI/DSSI and b) undoable
> without proper documentation. This documentation is made out of
> unobtainium.

i really really really wish this documentation would surface.  support for the
onboard DSSI in the 4k machines as well as general CI support would kick a
major amount of ass.

-brian
--
Whoops, nevermind...  the compile just imploded, crashing the xterm it was
running in as well...  Thanks, Richard...              -- George Adkins --