Subject: Re: VT420 and VAXstation 4000/90
To: Hugh Graham" , "Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Erik Smit <zoiah@zoiah.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/30/2002 15:43:17
On Sunday, April 28, 2002 9:05 PM, "Hugh Graham" wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 09:37:54PM -0700, Chuck McManis wrote:
> >
> > Second NetBSD _will_ screw up the Flash monitor on your 4000/90 so
before
> > you start you should really make a copy of it. Either peruse the
archives
> > of this list or write me off line and I can share with you a fairly
painful
> > way to do it.
> >
> <...>
> I did also have him make a dump of the firmware before beginning,
> but it seems that the layout changed between revisions, so I'm not
> sure if it will be useful to isolate any points of corruption in
> the one you provided some time back. I suppose it's also possible
> the different revision isn't vulnerable.
>
> You can get it here: http://209.53.9.99/vax/millert-4k90firm.bin

I was able to salvage a VAXStation 4000/90a at work yesterday but it came
without any HDs (it was presumably netbooting because when I turned it on it
tried to boot from EZA0). So I took the SCSI HD from my VAXStation 3100/m38
(which was already running NetBSD) and booted from it.

It appears to have broken my flash too because it doesn't autostart anymore
and gives this error/warning "?? 000 8 SYS 0512" which I've also found in
the archives from other people booting NetBSD.

How would one go about fixing this? The machine still boots but autostart
would be nicer. :)

Also, on a more offtopic note, the NIC in the 3100/m38 was detected by
default on NetBSD so I was able to give it an IP and attach it to the
network but the NIC in the 4000/90a does not appear to be detected. Is it
already supported? If so, how do I get it working? (Bear with me, I've never
done anything in my life with NetBSD before. :).

Regards,

Erik Smit