Subject: Re: Vax 4000/200 Tech Questions
To: M J Dowden <mjdowden@panix.com>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/29/2002 11:06:36
Ive just cut a notch in regular cords for mine, and never had anby trouble.
Though i dont have a real meter to test it with, my guess is that for
example a uv3 in a ba123, with about 5 qbus slots filled, and 4 wren-7s,
uses about 450 watts, and a vax 4k600 with 2 3.5" disks and 4 qbus cards
uses maybe 400 watts. you really dont need the mega-beefy cables, this
was just the typical DEC overengineering..
Even with a relatively thin power cord, ive had both machines on 24 hours a
day for months on end with no problem, no warming up of anything, etc..

the only thing to be sure of is that the cable you carve up is well made
enough to not expose conductors when you go carving.. :-)

isildur