Subject: Vax 4000/200 Tech Questions
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Henry R. Bent <henry.bent@oberlin.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/28/2002 17:09:05
Hi everybody,

Here's my first round of questions about the VAX 4000/200 I picked up.  I know
that some of these are probably basic questions but I'm new to the world of
VAXen and all my google searching hasn't turned up answers.

Unfortunately the person I bought it from didn't have the system running (I
don't think he ever did) or my life would be a lot easier.  However, it means
that the system pretty much hasn't been touched since it was taken out of
service at a major pharmaceutical manufacturer.

1. Power connection.  The socket looks like it would take a standard power
cord but it's got a piece of plastic blocking the top.  In all my boxes it
seems to be the one thing I'm missing.  Can I scrape some plastic out of the
top of a regular power cord and use it?  The power rating does say 11.2A at
120V so perhaps DEC is just making sure you use a safe power cord.

2. Disk connections.  I've got two RF31s and a TK70 with front panels in the
drive bays.  I even have spare DSSI ID plugs!  My question though is about the
expansion connectors to the left of the Qbus slots.  The bottom one is labeled
"BUS C" and has a DSSI terminator on it.  However the top one looks like a
Centronics 50pin and doesn't have a terminator.  Is this also used for DSSI
connections, or is this some sort of SCSI connector?  My curiosity has been
piqued because I recieved a standard Storage Expansion box with two RZ57s as
part of the lot.

3. KA660 bulkhead.  There's a two-position switch selectable between a dot in
a circle and a dot outside a circle.  This is next to a three position switch
with a profile of a face, an arrow to the two-position switch, and a T in a
circle.  What does all of this mean?  How should I set it for standard
booting?

4. Simpact ICP1622T Qbus card.  I believe this is some sort of terminal server
interface but I haven't been able to find more information than that.  What
does this connect to?

I'd also like to say that I got a LOT of documentation (~6 boxes worth) in
gray binders about VMS and stuff like CDD/Plus, DATATRIEVE and VAX FMS.  I
believe the VMS version is V5.4.  If anyone needs any docs like this, contact
me off-list and I'll see if I have what you need.  I haven't had the energy to
sit down and go through it all yet so I can't really provide a list.

--
Henry Bent                       henry.bent@oberlin.edu
Want the Stars Productions       http://www.wtsp.org