Subject: Re: VT420 and VAXstation 4000/90
To: Henry R. Bent <henry.bent@oberlin.edu>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/27/2002 21:37:54
There are a couple of things,

First there are _two_ switches in the front of the 4000/90. One disables
audio the other turns on the serial console. Make sure you got the right
one switched.

Second NetBSD _will_ screw up the Flash monitor on your 4000/90 so before
you start you should really make a copy of it. Either peruse the archives
of this list or write me off line and I can share with you a fairly painful
way to do it.

After you do that, it would be really nice if you could make the firmware
image available for those of us with screwed up 90's.

Make sure the VT420 is set up for 9600 baud 8N1, that is the default baud
rate for the console port. If its been changed then you can either reset
the NVRAM to get it back to the default or you can try different baud rates
until it finds it. Some folks hooked a printer there and set it in the
monitor to 2400 baud.

Also make sure you're in the COMM1 port of the VT420, presumably you've
tried both ports (one is the printer port and you don't want that one.) The
one on the right, looking at it from the back is COMM1.

--Chuck