Subject: Re: Upgrading a 4000/200
To: None <henry.bent@oberlin.edu>
From: David R Barnes <dbproductions@juno.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/24/2002 18:14:26
Nope... sorry the 4000/200 was the last of the 100% qbus backplane.. the
/300 and up use a new 'pele' bus... You need to replace the box
(backplane) to go to a  4000/300

> limited in its speed compared to other 4000 series systems, and I'd
> ideally
> like to upgrade the machine to a /300 or /500.  Compaq claims (at
> http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/vax/archive/vax4000_200.html) that
> this
> system is non-upgradeable.  However, my guess is that this info is
> based on a
> /200 in a BA213 rather than a BA440.  So would it be possible to
> swap the
> processor board with one from a /300 or /500 to achieve a faster
> machine?  My
> apologies if this is an obvious question, but I'm pretty new to the
> world of
> VAXen, having just come from experience with DECstations.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Henry Bent                       henry.bent@oberlin.edu
> Want the Stars Productions       http://www.wtsp.org

David R Barnes
dbproductions@juno.com

Vms and Unix guru! Also specializing in Linux and Netbsd!
Long Live VMS!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.