Subject: Re: Installing ELF snapshot from 1.5.2 sysinst
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/16/2002 12:44:04
Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On 2002.04.15 16:54 Chris Wareham wrote:
>
>>I'm wondering if I can use a 1.5.2 CD to
>>'bootstrap' the install. I'm hoping to start the
>>install from the CD, and then do an FTP install of
>>the snapshot tarballs.
>
> This should work. At least when you boot from the CD, exit the installer
> to a single user shell and do the rest by hand. (Manual installation is
> easy and my prefered method.)

I've used the 1.5.2 sysinst to partition the disks and format
them. I assume the next steps are:

1) Use the utility menu to start the networking
2) Drop to a shell
3) Mount my freshly partitioned disks
4) FTP the tarballs onto the disks and extract them
5) Run MAKEDEV and set the timezone up
6) Reboot

Have I missed any stages? And how do I get the kernel source
for the snapshot? I suppose I have to get it from CVS using the
correct tag, but I don't know which one to use.

Chris

--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)
cwareham@btinternet.com (home)