Subject: Re: VaxStation 3100 m38
To: Erik Smit <zoiah@zoiah.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/15/2002 13:05:04
On April 15, Erik Smit wrote:
> >   The Alpha ROMs aren't subject to such limitations.  I'v used all
> > manner of SCSI devices on all manner of Alphas with no compatibility
> > issues whatsoever.
>
> On my AlphaStation 4/166 I am unable to see (and therefore, use) any SCSI
> Device without a DEC-branded firmware in the SRM. I have several of the
> exact same HDs here, some with a DEC firmware, some with a HP, it will only
> detect the DECs.
>
> As soon as the machine has booted there is no problem though because then
> the OS has taken over, but in the SRM it's DEC-only.

  There is no DEC firmware requirement in any version of SRM that I've
ever used or heard of.  What version of SRM are you running?  Also,
what specific model of machine is it?

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "Hush and eat your vegetables, young lady!"
St. Petersburg, FL                          - Mr. Bill