Subject: Re: VaxStation 3100 m38
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Erik Smit <zoiah@zoiah.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/15/2002 19:01:27
On Monday, April 15, 2002 6:29 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On April 15, Erik Smit wrote:
> > Weird, I guess the drive I tested was just broken, but I had similiar
> > experiences with the AlphaStation I figured it had the same limitation.
>
>   The Alpha ROMs aren't subject to such limitations.  I'v used all
> manner of SCSI devices on all manner of Alphas with no compatibility
> issues whatsoever.

On my AlphaStation 4/166 I am unable to see (and therefore, use) any SCSI
Device without a DEC-branded firmware in the SRM. I have several of the
exact same HDs here, some with a DEC firmware, some with a HP, it will only
detect the DECs.

As soon as the machine has booted there is no problem though because then
the OS has taken over, but in the SRM it's DEC-only.

Regards,

Erik Smit