Subject: Re: VaxStation 3100 m38
To: Erik Smit <zoiah@zoiah.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/15/2002 12:29:57
On April 15, Erik Smit wrote:
> > > Also, IMHO the harddrives make a little bit too much noise but it
> > > doesn't support non-DEC drives (by default?), any way to make'm work
> > > with non-DEC drives? Or a way to keep the noise of the RZ26B drives
> > > down a bit?
> >
> > Not true.  It'll support any narrow SCSI drive.  I can't remember if there
> > is a boot partition size limitation or anything like that, but I doubt it.
>
> Weird, I guess the drive I tested was just broken, but I had similiar
> experiences with the AlphaStation I figured it had the same limitation.

  Nope, SCSI == SCSI.  The only issue is that the bootstrap needs to be
within the first GB, because the ROMs (and I'm not sure which ones,
but I think the M38 is affected by this) can only deal with LBNs big
enough to access to the first GB.  But after it's booted, it's an
issue of OS support which, on every OS I've ever heard of, isn't an
issue.

  The Alpha ROMs aren't subject to such limitations.  I'v used all
manner of SCSI devices on all manner of Alphas with no compatibility
issues whatsoever.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "Hush and eat your vegetables, young lady!"
St. Petersburg, FL                          - Mr. Bill