Subject: Re: VaxStation 3100 m38
To: Joel Sutton <jsutton@users.sourceforge.net>
From: Erik Smit <zoiah@zoiah.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/15/2002 12:03:41
On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 12:45, Joel Sutton wrote:

> Erik Smit wrote:
>
> >I'd just like to say that I've just installed NetBSD 1.5.2 succesfully
> >on a DEC VaxStation 3100 m38.
> >
> I've finally gotten my VaxStation 3100 out also (it was given to me ages
> ago) and have installed 1.5.2 without a hiccup.
>
> >I was having a few problems at first with doing the install over NFS but
> >once I switched to FTP everything went smoothly and the old beast is now
> >happily humming (damn, those RZ26B-E drives make a load of noise) away
> >with NetBSD instead of crummy old OpenVMS. :)
> >
> I was lucky enough to have acquired a machine with a CD-ROM drive so I
> made a CD-R out of the ISO image I downloaded and it booted first go. I
> was definitely impressed. You guys on port-vax have done a great job -
> thanks.
>
> The next trick is to get my DAT drive working, with the idea of the vax
> acting as my backup server.
>
> Do you have plans for your VaxStation Erik?

Not yet, I'm putting it aside a little bit until I can find time to get
Linux working on it. They've already gotten it to boot but there isn't
any shared library support for it yet.

Also, IMHO the harddrives make a little bit too much noise but it
doesn't support non-DEC drives (by default?), any way to make'm work
with non-DEC drives? Or a way to keep the noise of the RZ26B drives down
a bit?

Regards,

Erik Smit