Subject: Re: uVAX-II doesn't work without RQDX???
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/14/2002 21:15:25
At 10:39 PM 4/14/02 -0500, you wrote:
>>You should be OK, but note that this system will catch on fire if you
>>have the "old" wiring harness. The KDB50 is a power hog.
>
>oops, now that's comforting :-) Are you serious? Won't a fuse
>blowing out be a better alternative? How can I discern the old
>from the new wiring harness?

Pull the chassis out of any wrapper (pedestal, etc) With the side cover
plate over the front off (this would give top access to the drives/tape)
look at the harness that connects the PSU to the back plane. If the RED and
BLACK wires are all equal lengthed then you have the updated wiring
harness. If the harness lays flat because the wires closer to the edge of
the back plane are shorter than those at the end, then you have the
"catches fire" wiring harness. The shorter power leads carry more current
and the harness gets hot enough to ignite the insulation of the wires.

There is a field note on it somewhere and you used to be able to call
1-800-DIGITAL and get a free harness but these days who knows. Now I just
keep BA23's with the harness and toss the "bad" ones.

--Chuck