Subject: Re: uVAX-II doesn't work without RQDX???
To: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/14/2002 13:59:54
Thanks Antonio,

> 	For an RD54, the jumpers are (IIRC) usually set to 3
> 	for the first drive.

The problem is what jumpers set it to 3? :-)

> 	>(b) frustrated I ripped out the RQDX3 board set alltogether and
> 	>   left only the KFQSA and/or the KDB50. But nothing would work
> 	>   without the RQXD card. Is the RQXD card needed?
>
> 	Did you leave a gap in the Qbus?

no I moved everybody up or stuck a grant inbetween.

> 	>(c) who knows how exactly to set up the KFQSA? There are so
>
> 	I do have the KFQSA manual somewhere but I
> 	cannot find it right now. Setting it up
> 	involves talking to it with DUP and doing
> 	that from a UV2 console is not
> 	possible (again, IIRC). You can do it
> 	with a UV3 console. If you have a UV2
> 	you need to get as far as booting an
> 	OS for the KFQSA (I'll do my best
> 	not to mention OpenVMS here :-) ...
> 	but you'll have to have someone else
> 	tell you how to do it with Ultrix ).

Well, now that I have my KDA50 and if I can get the system to
work without RQXD then I can boot VMS 5.4. If that has a utility
to set up the KFQSA, I would actually consider booting it :-)
The only problem may be that the VMS system was configured for
a VAX6300, but I wouldn't be surprized if it worked, ... either
way I wouldn't.

> 	>(d) this small Q-bus is a real pain. I already destroyed the
> 	>   8-line serial card (one bulky box-shaped component from the
> 	>   rear broke off, is that a capacitor?)
>
> 	Pain? Tsk, it's an experience! Why do you
> 	think God gave you skin on your knuckles,
> 	if not to leave it inside a computer!
> 	If the card is a DHV11, you almost
> 	certainly knocked off a regulator
> 	chip.

That one had only two pins. Very fine pins for a huge box. I would
have considered securing the box with some extra pins ...

> Preety straightfoward to repair,
> 	from memory.

I guess so, if the part can be found. Ah well, I don't really need
lots of serial lines anyway and don't have room for the card in the
bus. So what the heck :-)

-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine