Subject: RE: uVAX-II doesn't work without RQDX???
To: 'Gunther Schadow' <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/14/2002 03:12:29
> Gunther Schadow wrote:
>

	>(a) the Micropolis MFM drive isn't detected at all though it was
	>   supposed to be a good drive coming from a Sun. I do have the
	>   uVAX diagnostics and could format the drive if only it were
	>   detected by the RQDX3. Could someone hint me on the jumpers?

	For an RD54, the jumpers are (IIRC) usually set to 3
	for the first drive.

	>(b) frustrated I ripped out the RQDX3 board set alltogether and
	>   left only the KFQSA and/or the KDB50. But nothing would work
	>   without the RQXD card. Is the RQXD card needed?

	Did you leave a gap in the Qbus?

	>(c) who knows how exactly to set up the KFQSA? There are so

	I do have the KFQSA manual somewhere but I
	cannot find it right now. Setting it up
	involves talking to it with DUP and doing
	that from a UV2 console is not
	possible (again, IIRC). You can do it
	with a UV3 console. If you have a UV2
	you need to get as far as booting an
	OS for the KFQSA (I'll do my best
	not to mention OpenVMS here :-) ...
	but you'll have to have someone else
	tell you how to do it with Ultrix ).

	>(d) this small Q-bus is a real pain. I already destroyed the
	>   8-line serial card (one bulky box-shaped component from the
	>   rear broke off, is that a capacitor?)

	Pain? Tsk, it's an experience! Why do you
	think God gave you skin on your knuckles,
	if not to leave it inside a computer!
	If the card is a DHV11, you almost
	certainly knocked off a regulator
	chip. Preety straightfoward to repair,