Subject: Re: Off Topic? PDP 11 1134/1145's
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/02/2002 20:08:42
> I did get an almost reasonable justification for this sort of demented
> behavior once.  Some computer parts are considered hazardous waste. If
> I take a machine from some company, then dump it for whatever
> reason, there's a possibility (however remote) of it being traced back
> to that company (via serial numbers or whatever).  They could then
> potentially be held liable for the illegal dumping.  Of course, it
> would be simple enough to provide a bill of sale for $0.01, or some
> other documentation of the transfer of ownership.  But I did lose out
> on one deal where that was seen as just too much hassle for the
> beaurocrats involved.

On some deals, I just provided a signed statement that the equipment
would be disposed of in full conformance with all relevant laws and
regulations.  Of course, I intend to keep the equipment for quite a
long time, and eventually transfer it to someone else with similar
interests, or a museum, so disposal is a moot point.