Subject: Re: Off Topic? PDP 11 1134/1145's
To: None <wonko@arkham.ws>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tappedin.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/02/2002 23:01:33
>Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 22:28:45 -0500
>From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@arkham.ws>
>
>On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 08:46:25PM -0800, joseph p bennardo wrote:
>
>> I can't say why they want them destroyed, but if you knew the company
>> you'd understnad a bit better.
>
>i probably still wouldn't understand.  there is no good reason that i know of.

I did get an almost reasonable justification for this sort of demented
behavior once.  Some computer parts are considered hazardous waste.
If I take a machine from some company, then dump it for whatever
reason, there's a possibility (however remote) of it being traced back
to that company (via serial numbers or whatever).  They could then
potentially be held liable for the illegal dumping.  Of course, it
would be simple enough to provide a bill of sale for $0.01, or some
other documentation of the transfer of ownership.  But I did lose out
on one deal where that was seen as just too much hassle for the
beaurocrats involved.