Subject: Re: Off Topic? PDP 11 1134/1145's
To: joseph p bennardo <fordluvr@juno.com>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@arkham.ws>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/02/2002 20:11:31
On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 08:07:05PM -0800, joseph p bennardo wrote:

>    Here's my view on all this. They want the stuff destroyed. If I do get
> away with pulling boards or whole CPUs with the backplanes they won't be
> just given away. I won't stick my neck out for free. I hope nobody
> expects me to do so. I realize some of you guys believe that they should
> be donated to the better good, but I'm a realist and a capitalist. These
> things are become more and more rare so my donated items will eventually
> be sold for money when they are of a serious value. Anybody who buys
> should consider it an investment.

i don't think any of us expects you to give it away for free, we're just
saying it would be nice if you could. :)

as far as donated items being sold when they are worth money, maybe you don't
understand just how deeply our sickness runs.  i don't care how much my gear
ends up being worth, i would NEVER sell it.  i don't own it for it's investment
potential, i own it because i want it. :)

>    All of these things are still running and functional, they just aren't
> doing much anymore. Fully loaded and functional. I'm not looking to sell
> them on Ebay. Just a fair price for good quality items. That being said
> if I could get a whole PDP 11/45 I'd donate it to a museum first before I
> sold the thing. At least there I know it wouldn't be sold for profit in
> the future.

i don't question any of your choices.  your choice to not ebay this stuff is
admirable, and your willingness to stick your neck out to save it in the first
place is also admirable.

what i question, is the company's position that this stuff has to be destroyed.
what possibly reason is there that they would see this as the only alternative?
does it benefit them to have it destroyed?  probably not.  they all need a good
firm kick in the ass.  they should be happy that any number of the more psycho
collectors on this list don't work there.  i would definitely not stand for
that.

you are doing a good thing, even if the whole systems can't be saved.

-brian
--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)