Subject: Re: Off Topic? PDP 11 1134/1145's
To: Lyle Bickley <lbickley@bickleywest.com>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@arkham.ws>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/02/2002 19:17:34
On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 12:26:23PM -0800, Lyle Bickley wrote:
> All,
>
> May I make another suggestion?  A bunch of us here in the Silicon Valley are
> fans of old DEC equipment.  We get 'em and restore 'em.  Some favor PDPs (one
> guy even has two DEC 10's), some favor the smaller 11's and others of us like
> old VAXes.  At any rate, we meet once a month for lunch and swap stories,
> tell what stuff we've picked up, etc.  All of us are willing to trade
> equipment or donate books and equipment to each other.  We studiously avoid
> EBAY.

so who's on the east coast that would like to do this?  i'm in philly, and i
know isildur is in pittsburg.  don't know where we would want to meet though,
since some people would have to travel far for that.  thoughts?  ideas?

> I am NOT trying to start a flame war - just present an alternate view.  I'm
> glad Joe has expressed a willingness to try to get his hands on the PDP-11's.
>  I hope he can find other DEC fans he can donate them to.

it costs a lot of money just to run these things, and unfortunatly that impacts
my ability to spend a lot of money on the hardware in the first place.  the
more DEC bits that can be salvaged for the hobbyist for the price of shipping
or pickup, the better off we all are.

-brian

--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)