Subject: Re: SA600's FOR FREE!!!!
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/02/2002 12:01:09
>> Especially since I'm so short of MSCP disk.  (The RA90 _is_ suitable
>> for connection to RD controllers, right?)
> It has the SDI connector, like RA82 et al.  Connects to a KDA50,
> UDA50, KDB50 or HSC or so.

Hm, I guess it's been too long since I spent much time working with
VAXentoyz; I've forgotten this sort of detail.

> For reference about shipping costs:

> Some years ago (4-5) it would cost $2000 to ship 8 cabinets of RA82's
> from Luleå to Poughkeepsie, NY.

Luleå, heh.  Wish I'd known that some years back; I and someone else
visited Sweden, and we flew into Luleå (it was actually some folks
in/near Piteå we were visiting).

> Hmmm, they are 220V disks, maybe not so good idea after all.

As someone (isildur, I think?) said, North America normally has 220V
power available these days.  A house power feed normally has two lines,
each 110V to earth, 180° out of phase with respect to one another.
(The exact voltage varies; I've seen 110, 112, 115, and 120 given as
the spec.)  Earth is brought in to the distribution point twice, once
for protective grounding and once as a so-called "neutral" conductor.
Normal mains power outlets are wired with neutral and one of the live
conductors, and hence feed 110V, but some things (electric ranges,
baseboard heaters, clothes dryers, those are perhaps the commonest
examples) have both live conductors brought out to them and hence get
220V.  (Which of the live conductors is used for a 110V feed varies; it
is usually "random", depending on which breaker in the breaker box the
wire is connected to.  This means that, eg, between the live wires of
two different outlets you may have 0V or 220V, depending on whether
they're wired on the same side of neutral or not.)

In short, just because it's a 220V device doesn't mean it'd be
difficult to use in North America, at least not for someone who's not
afraid of changing plugs on wires and suchlike (which, based on what
I've seen about rewiring three-phase blowers and similar, includes most
of the folks here :-).

Out of curiosity, is European 220V power a single live line that's 220V
to an earthed "neutral", or is is just like North America except that
mains outlets routinely have both live lines instead of one live line
and one neutral?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign