Subject: RE: DEC field veterans: what's KA64A's self test #21?
To: None <classiccmp@classiccmp.org, port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/28/2002 15:46:23
> Gunther Schadow wrote:
>
	>do you know what the KA64A's self test #21 is? I have two of these
	>boards that just won't come up, they both stop at
	>
	>#123456789 0123456789 01

	After an extensive trawl of the manuals,
	I think I've found something.

	This is, as you have said, failing test 21.

	This is Backup Tag Store Parity Error Test.
	Not a happy CPU, I would guess.
	I have no idea how repairable this is.

	To verify (for sure) you should have
	the yellow LED off (self-test failed)
	and the red LEDs below that
	reading OFF, ON, OFF, OFF, OFF, OFF, ON
	(which is 21 in BCD - no, I don't know why!)

	>system self test and get me to a console prompt, I get the error
	>that these two boards didn't get to console mode. What could be
	>wrong here?

	They almost certainly need the tender
	care of a soldering iron and a new chip
	or two. I have no schematics for these
	(I doubt that anyone other than the
	DEC repair centres ever did have these).

	Antonio