Subject: Re: bad144
To: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/20/2002 23:15:36
On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, John Wilson wrote:

> >From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>

> >> Yikes. That means we need error-free media...
> >>
> >Do you have many RP06 in use? :-)
>
> If anybody would, it's Johnny!  :-)

I actually have four. But the bang/buck is pretty bad compared to
RA92. But we're keeping them for our two -2060s. :-)
(As a footnote I could mention that Magica used to run on a pair of RP06 a
number of years ago... I also had an RP07 hooked up at that time...)

> >Note that bad144 is only used on Massbus disks, nothing else uses it. MSCP
> >disks have their own bad block replacement strategy.
>
> Potential nitpick:  I don't know about bad144 the *program*, but the
> Massbus-style last-track bad block file is also used on the RK06/RK07,
> and (sort of) on the RL01/RL02 (minus the 18-bit copies).

18-bit copies?
Ah, perhaps you're talking about if the packs are used for -18(36) bit
systems. Hmmm, I think you really need to reformat the packs to use them
on the other system, and thus need to rewrite the bad block list.

	Johnny