Subject: Re: VAX 6400 booting saga: SUCCESS!
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/17/2002 14:31:14
Johnny Billquist wrote:

>>>Are you talking about a Java Development Kit on VAX? This would be just
>>>too strange - please explain.
>>>

>>Hehe, yes I am talking about that, strange as it may be. But
>>since I'm using Java at work and stuff, I can just as well
>>try it on the VAX.
>>

> Start writing your own ieee floating point package then.

Hmm, I don't really care for retaining the exact floating point
semantics of Java, and I have read a paper from a floating
point "expert" who was doubtful if an absolute same floating
point semantics everywhere was even good or necessary. In fact
the fun would be to use as many VAXisms as possible to get
some decent speed out of it. The idea earlier was to actually
supply microcode hacks (which one could do on an 86x0 (and
probably a 11/78x (?))

-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine