Subject: Re: Using a PC monitor in place of DEC monochrome one
To: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/12/2002 17:08:04
On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 11:56:11AM +0000, Chris Wareham wrote:
> I spent a fruitless night trying to view the output from my VS3100's
> monochrome framebuffer, as I think that my DEC monitor is broken. It
> did spend three months in its previous owners garage, as well as
> enduring a van journey where I don't think it was safely secured.

I have had at least three DEC mono monitors go south on me.  I can't
remember the model offhand, it was the 1024x864 mono model that shipped
with decstation 3100s and I believe some microvaxen.  all of them died
after transit.  I attempted to reheat some solder joints, but apparently
didn't get the right ones and gave up.

> As a result, I am wondering if I can use a standard PC monitor to view
> the output of the builtin framebuffer.  I recall seeing some notes on
> how to get a monochrome PC monitor to do this, but nothing on colour
> monitors.

you can get a color sync-on-green monitor to work:  just plug into the
green connector.  the screen will of course be green, but my friend has
gotten a head on his decstation 3100 this way.

      "[...] I generally haven't found IDM guys to be very good
       live acts, most of them just sit down at their laptop and
       tweak reaktor."  -- Brandon Daniel