Subject: Re: NetBSD/pdp10 ?
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/07/2002 11:07:40
On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 04:19:30PM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> If anyone is serious about porting to a non-byte-addressible machine,
> the DG Eclipse series would be a more available and marginally saner
> target.

Or, if you have a large garage and free electricity, an ICL 2900.
IIRC these are 32 bit but not byte addressable.  The C compiler
that was written used a different encoding for char pointers.
I think they 'fudged' some other issues though:
- EBCDIC system that typically used ASCII (slow) periferals
- the null pointer (for the OS) was ~0
- pointers were normally 'base+length' describing an object.
- calling sequence that didn't support varargs

The other odd systems (whch fortunately don't have an mmu so
have to be discounted immediately) are the BCD engines!

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk