Subject: Re: NetBSD/pdp10 ?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/07/2002 10:28:41
On Wednesday,  6 March 2002 at 14:17:59 -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> In message <87pu2hqv3r.fsf@snark.piermont.com>"Perry E. Metzger" writes
>
>> Er, Eduardo, the machines in question invented the modern MMU. They
>> were the first architecture to have demand paged virtual memory.
>
> Nope, the first demand-paged virtual memory was at Manchester, with
> CRT memory.  See the the paper on two-level store by Kilburn &c,
> collected in Bell, Siewiorek and Newman's "Computer Architecture".

You had me puzzled here.  I was going to say "The Atlas was the first
machine with VM", so I tried tracking down your reference.  I believe
the correct reference is to the paper "One-Level Storage System", by
Kilburn, Edwards, Lanigan and Sumner, Chapter 10 of "Computer
Structures: Principles and Examples", by Siewiorek, Bell and Newell.
Page 135.

This article was published in April 1962, and it refers to the Atlas,
so it looks as if we're in agreement.

Greg