Subject: Re: Vax 4000/700
To: joseph p bennardo <fordluvr@juno.com>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/04/2002 19:20:01
hello

the 700 is comparable to a 4000/90. A little faster on the cpu, but slower
on things like disk accesses. The 4000/90 has a reasonably fast scsi chip
on the motherboard. The 4000/700 has DSSI on the processor board, but unless
you're using DSSI (while it's cool, dssi disks are now old, small, and
getting harder to find or replace), you have to go through the Qbus for
everything. Qbus scsi cards still cost real money, and you can expect less
than half the disk performance on a Qbus than what you get with the
4000/90. As for cost, the 4000/700 probably will still run you some real
money if you go seeking one out, since the resellers still have a market for
them.. i'd guess a reseller would probably sell one for ~1000 bucks,
which is a lot for a ten year old machine.

the 4000/90 you have is already really fast for a vax!

happy hacking,
isildur