Subject: Re: BTW, the VAX-7000 doesn't run any UNIX, Isildur
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/03/2002 14:28:36
On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> I just looked at your 7000 auction. It's a nice machine, I hope
> everyone on this list is nice and doesn't outbit their friends
> (the only reason why I submit bids early is to allow others here
> the same kind of nicity :-).

I try to do the same thing.. no sense us outbidding each other on stuff.
(theres a 4000/90 and a 4000/100 and a 4000/500 there as well)

> But, since I know you are not a VMS guy, Isildur, be aware that
> the 7000 doesn't run any UNIX: no ULTRIX, no NetBSD and I think
> no OSF/1 or Digital UNIX, etc. And getting it there isn't easy
> because it's XMI (well that's perhaps the easy part) but more it's
> hybrid nature with the Alpha.

However, the machine is, aside from the cpu, identical to a DEC7000,
which OSF1 _did_ run on, and i happen to have the OSF1 2.0 sources.. *grin*

If someone (sridhar mentioned it) really wants the machine, my max bid
was 200 bux, and if you promise to try to get unix working on it, take
it! my biggest fear is the 3 phase thing, since i havent got 3phase.
VMS would be cool too, though id of course like ot see unix on this
thing..
dont several people here already have vax7000s? wonko, sridhar, and dave
mcguire come to mind.. anybody have the time to try porting? if we have
osf1 working on the machine, which theoretically would only require doing
the cpu support, then getting netbsd to boot on it would probly be
easier..

happy hacking,
isildur