Subject: Re: 'tis christmas again :-)
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@argonath.vaxpower.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/02/2002 21:50:48
Isildur, yes indeed, and no not quite. I have made a bootable
ULTRIX 4.5 tape now and tested on the uVAX-II. But it doesn't
work on the 6000-460! See what I get:

Ultrixload (using VMB version 16)

Sizes:
text = 836456
data = 1223168
bss  = 849476

Rewinding tape ...
Starting at 0x2c19

cpu 0 panic: processor type not configured
trap type 8, code = 38, pc = 80075d38
dump area improper

?06 Halt instruction executed in kernel mode.
     PC     = 041F0012c
     SAVPSL = 001F0600
     KSP    = 80000580

Bootstrap failed due to previous error.

they seemed to have forgotten to put the KA64A symbol into the
config(8) file! This is so silly! Now I need the sources to
make a (truly) generic kernel! And the release notes even say
that the 6000-500 class is supported!

Sigh,
-Gunther

PS: but your TK50 works beautifully. I just did the routine
cleaning once per your earlier advice. I also found a way
to speed up writing by a lot, I use:

dd ibs=1024000 obs=10240 ...

so that it streams 1 MB to tape before it needs to reposition.
Speeds up writing by a factor of 10 or more.

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine