Subject: Re: DSSI support for NetBSD: request for docs.
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/27/2002 21:22:16
On 2002.02.27 19:05 Chuck McManis wrote:

> In my experience with the SII chip you set up a buffer in its shared
> memory
> with the MSCP "packet" layed out, and the node number of where you
> wanted
> it to go at the front. Then you write the that address into the
> descriptor
> register and the SII chip picks it up and drops it off at the drive.
This would mean that the SII implements at least a part of SCA in
hardware. Hmmm.

> Questions that were unanswered in my mind when I put this down about
> this time last year were:
>          1) maintaining the physical/virtual mapping between the 128KB
>             buffer and main memory.
This seams to be one of the main features of the SHAC chip. It is a
"nexus" device. This means it does all that nifty scatter-gather DMA
stuff and the like on its own. At least this is my understanding that I
got for the term "nexus" device. (Someone may give me more enlightening
about this.)
--

tschüß,
         Jochen