Subject: Re: DSSI support for NetBSD: request for docs.
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/27/2002 15:51:37
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> > Johnny Billquist wrote:
> >>:-) I have a bunch of UDA50, both for my PDP-11s, and for the 8650.
>
> Johnny, were you suggesting you have a *spare* one among them?

If someone have a PEP-70/HC-70 kit to trade with, yes.

> If I'm not mistaken the whole idea stems from BSD anyway (just as
> the whole Ultrix does.) In 386/BSD and early FreeBSD the config(8)
> syntax distinguished controller from device.

That's a different issue. The idea DEC had with MSCP is that you separate
the disk controlling from actually transporting the commands to the
disk. So you actually have a two-layer controller.

BSD did not have that at the 4.3 era.

> Here this is from
> GENERIC.allvax of 4.3 BSD:
>
> controller      mba0    at nexus ?
> controller      mba1    at nexus ?
> disk            hp0     at mba? drive 0
> disk            hp1     at mba? drive ?

Note that you don't any concept of the abstract disk for massbus. Instead
massbus disks are massbus disks. There is no abstract layer even in
hardware. You directly access the different control and status registers.

> controller      uba0    at nexus ?
> controller      uba1    at nexus ?
> controller      uda0    at uba? csr 0172150             vector udaintr
> disk            ra0     at uda0 drive 0
> disk            ra1     at uda0 drive 1
>
> controller      bi0     at nexus ?
> controller      kdb0    at bi0  csr 0                   vector kdbintr
> disk            kra0    at kdb0 drive 0
> disk            kra1    at kdb0 drive 1
> disk            kra2    at kdb0 drive 2
> disk            kra3    at kdb0 drive 3
>
> So, just want the record to be straight, the beautiful design most
> probably comes from Berkeley. I do admit though that they don't
> seem to have a separate mscp controller, which I though Ultrix had,
> but again, I should be looking before talking ...

No, you noted correctly. BSD don't have a separate mscp
controller. Instead they have a different driver for each hardware
controller, which also means that you have ra for disks attached to
UDA50/KDA50 while you have kra for disks attached to KDB50.
Yet they are all MSCP controllers, talking the same language. However,
there are some differences on how you actually talk to a KDB50 compared
to a UDA50.
They sit on totally different buses...

	Johnny