Subject: Re: Michael Sokolov Cooking: The Ultimate VAX
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/27/2002 14:55:57
On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Chuck McManis wrote:

> What is "high speed"? I've got a Xilinx Spartan II that I've run some tests
> on at 75Mhz (actually a bit faster to get the correct XGA timing but you
> get the idea) The 4000/90A runs at 83Mhz. Now a Virtex-E running at 500Mhz
> w/ 5 Million gates is a $6,000 qty 1 chip, but it is available.

Well, "my" 8650 runs at 72 MHz... And that machine is somewhere around 6-7
VUPS. And while the 8650 is done in microcode, it's pretty pipelined, and
have lots of micromachines...

So if you want a real killer VAX, you'll probably want *atleast* 500 MHz.
That should hopefully be able to give a number in the same ballpark as a
9000.

	Johnny