Subject: Re: Michael Sokolov Cooking: The Ultimate VAX
To: None <classiccmp@classiccmp.org, port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/26/2002 20:59:26
At 06:13 PM 2/26/2002 -0500, Gunther Schadow wrote:
>Hello, for those of you who are not (or no longer :-) subscribed to the
>Quasijarus list, you still want to read this. This is Michael Sokolov
>as we all love him: Passionate and knowledgeable about VAXen, and just
>that. The project sounds kinda cool, if he delivers I'll want to get it.
>
>regards
>-Gunther
>

>Hi there,
>
>It's me again, your faithful 4.3BSD-Quasijarus maintainer. Sorry that I've
>been
>silent for a while... but guess what, I've got something cool, something that
>may raise your hair...

[snip...]

>I've been particularly impressed by Galileo GT-64240 and GT-64260 system
>controllers for MIPS and PowerPC respectively. So far I've only worked with
>PowerPCs and GT-64260 and haven't looked at the 240 yet, but as I
>understand it
>the MIPS and PowerPC system buses are very similar and the 240 and the 260 are
>essentially the same chip with minor mods.

That's what he gets for reading datasheets and not working with the real
parts. :)
The 642x0 parts have any restriction and problems that will basically rule out
their as a VAX controller; specifically lack of cache coherency when using the
onboard communications functions (serial/ethernet).  Any VAX must have a
vectored
interrupt unit.  The interrupt logic of 642x0 is severely limited and not
appropriate at all.

[My day job is keeping a NetBSD port to an embedded implementation using the
MPC74xx and GT64260 parts running.  I have no love for the 64260.]