Subject: Re: Michael Sokolov Cooking: The Ultimate VAX
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/26/2002 16:11:11
What is "high speed"? I've got a Xilinx Spartan II that I've run some tests
on at 75Mhz (actually a bit faster to get the correct XGA timing but you
get the idea) The 4000/90A runs at 83Mhz. Now a Virtex-E running at 500Mhz
w/ 5 Million gates is a $6,000 qty 1 chip, but it is available.

But all that aside, I agree to develop a VAX microarchitecture that comes
close to the 9000 won't happen very quickly. But if you accept that chips
do get faster/denser on a fairly exponential curve then one could
presumably synthesize said VAX and wait for the chip technology to catch up.

Has anyone benchmarked SimH yet? I wonder how many VUPs it clocks in at.

--Chuck