Subject: Re: Michael Sokolov Cooking: The Ultimate VAX
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/26/2002 18:53:07
fpga implementations have been discussed before; while high speed fpgas
exist, theyre very expensive.   I think a quasi-microcode implementation
holds more promise from both a speed and a cost perspective. Alphas can
be rather VAX-like, and theyre also in the spirit of keeping if DECish,
and a couple of them can probably, with the right palcode, do the job of
playing the part of a vax. a nexus interconnect, etc, from that on, with the
memory (perhaps with another alpha doing vax memory management for it) as
a nexus itself as in the bigger vaxen, could probably be served well from
one of the modern high perfromance schemes like sokolov mentioned his
choice of. As for XMI, i think it's fanciful to aspire to get detailed enough
info to do a proper implementation, and the payoff would be nearly nil.
I have just about zero XMI devices i really want to run unless im running
a vax 6000 with them, and even then, my vax4000 is faster and has a scsi
interface. PCI is gross, and i like the idea of VME. the new VME stuff is
really bloody fast. I'd still like to see a fast scsi interface that
talks MSCP, though..

It would be interesting to see if his project progresses, but i have to
agree with thor, fpgas arent the way to go for a high speed vax.